Thursday, October 9, 2008

Friends...

I haven't added much to the blog since I started teaching again. It's hard enough to raise a family, work and keep up with the household stuff like laundry, dishes, vacuuming, sweeping, etc, but recently I have a friend who found out in less than a week that she has fourth stage cancer and it seems like serving is the number one priority.
It's true that you don't really appreciate things until they're gone, like your health, your home, your ability to drive. Spending time with Shelley has been very rewarding. Unbelievably, by serving, I have somewhat more energy at nights - sounds surreal, but true. I have spent time, time that I never thought I had, giving, of energy that I never thought I had, to comfort a friend. And it feels great! Only the Lord knows what her future holds, but through this unfortunate experience, it has created unity and given strength to all those around her. I admire her for going through this painful disease and hope that we can all realize how special each person and each minute is, and that we should spend it serving those around us.

4 comments:

Marcina said...

It is so true that when we are willing to serve, the Lord somehow gives us the strength to do what He needs us to. I just couldn't believe it when I heard about Shelley, I am glad you have been able to help. What can I do to help?

Bren's Life said...

What a Faithful Daughter of God you are Sue. That is so sweet of you to be such a loving friend & to give if yourself to Shelley. They truly appreciate it, you can tell by mike's comment on his blog.
She has been in my thoughts & prayers since I found out about her. Please let her know I am thinking of her.
Thanks for coming to my party too. It was fun laughing with you...

Jenna said...

You are an amazing friend. What a wonderful talent you have to share with Shelley at her time of need. I have tears in my eyes as I think of the service and love you are sharing. Miss you !!!

Kristi said...

What an inspiring post! I know I need to serve more. I too have had Shelley in my thoughts and prayers since I found out she had cancer.